Object Importer & Editor for ARCHICAD
Introducing… MODELPORT 2.0
ARCHICAD Objects Unleashed
With the release of ModelPort 2.0, developed by Day8Design, downloading and managing ARCHICAD objects has never been easier. Users can now import, edit and change settings for a wide variety of objects. Additional file formats such as MODO, Lightwave and Blender are now accessible, in addition to the popular OBJ and standard FBX formats.
ModelPort uses the Autodesk FBX SDK, which is the same code used by Autodesk to create a bridge between their popular 3D software: Maya, Softimage XSI, 3DStudio MAX, etc. Using the FBX SDK means there is now a reliable connection to these and many other 3D programs.
But ModelPort 2.0 offers much more. With this new release users can preview models before import as well as edit material, texture, texture placement, pen weight, fill color and more with powerful parametric editing tools.
With ModelPort 2.0 ARCHICAD users can also manage imported models and objects to reduce file size and control the polygon count thus improving speed and performance.
“Great work! I think the ARCHICAD community will be excited about ModelPort 2.0”.
– Dan Hruby, Architect, VisualizeItBuilt
Object Viewer & Editor for ARCHICAD
- Preview an object or model before importing to ARCHICAD.
- Fast preview engine provides users with a quick review of an object and its components.
- Review an object in perspective, floor plan, elevation or graphic view.
- Control the display of model information, grid, polygon count, speed, light and background in the preview window.
- Modify the Properties of the Object or be more precise with selection of individual components within the Preview Window.
- Edit selected items by object or by material.
- Control settings by selections within the items list.
- Set the object scale, rotation, material, transparency, graphics and other properties.
Select Object Materials
- Selected materials in the Item List of ModelPort are highlighted in perspective, elevation and plan views of ARCHICAD.
- Interactive selection of elements in perspective, elevation or plan views within ARCHICAD will highlight the material in the Item List of ModelPort.
- View and edit the Properties of a material after it is selected from the Items List or from the perspective, elevation or plan view.
Setting Scene Views
- Rotation in perspective within ModelPort’s interactive 3D View window.
- Each view window can be set two types of views:
- Shaded Views: Perspective, Front, Top and Left
- Graphic View: Floor Plan
- After setting a view you can select Update Preview Image to set the default Preview Image in the Object Settings.
Zoom to Selection
- Have trouble viewing changes to selected elements when editing materials, pen colors, fills and other settings?
- ModelPort introduces Zoom to Selection, a NEW feature that allows you to see more clearly the element you’re editing.
- It’s simple – select an element and click the Zoom to Selection button.
Reduce Object Polygon Count
- An object with a high polygon count can decrease the speed and performance of an ARCHICAD model.
- A Polygon Count Indicator in the 3D Viewer shows red in the bar graph when the polygon count is high.
- With the Poly Reduced Editor you can decrease the polygons on models that have a high polygon count.
Reduce File Size with New ModelPort Format
- The NEW Save Mode offers 3 format options:
- ModelPort : Reduces size of imported files up to 80% (requires ModelPort Plug-in).
- GDL : Standard ARCHICAD format but doesn’t store the extra ModelPort information and creates a larger file size.
- GDL+ModelPort : Provides all the benefits of both options above but creates the largest file size of the two options.
Organize Objects with the ModelPort Browser
- The ModelPort Browser helps you organize and preview downloaded libraries.
- The browser offers visual navigation through a library of downloaded objects.
- A selected object in the browser can be opened into ModelPort for review without importing to ARCHICAD.
Edit Materials of an Imported Object
- ModelPort automatically adds material parameters to an object imported into ARCHICAD so it’s quick to change a material or texture…
- Select the material of an object in the Properties or within a View
- Click the Change Texture button and select a different texture file
- Update the object
Improve Object Editing with MODELPORT 2.0
Increased performance and powerful editing tools for ARCHICAD.
The chart below compares the new features in ModelPort 2.0 with ModelPort 1.0 and the ARCHICAD defaults. The new version of ModelPort offers powerful features not available in other tools.
Formats Available for Import to ARCHICAD
- Autodesk 3DS, Collada DAE
- Autodesk DXF, Stereolithography
- Autodesk FBX, Wavefront OBJ
- MODO, Lightwave, Blender 3D, Alembic ABC
- Preview Objects Before Import
- Zoom to Selection for Parametric Editing
- Rotate Objects in the Object Settings 3D Preview
Rotation & Scale Control
- Change Rotation for X, Y and Z
- Change Scale for X, Y and Z
Parametric Materials for Imported Objects
- Edit Surface Color and Material
- Change Linked Texture File within Parameters
- Edit Diffuse, Ambient, Specular, Shininess & Transparency
- Set Texture Alpha as Bump and Transparency
- Define Texture Wrap U and V
Improves 2D & 3D Graphics
- Clean 2D Symbols for Curved Surfaces
- Smooth surface 3D Models with no triangulated surfaces
Parametric Pens & Fills for Imported Objects
- Set Pen Weight for Selected Elements
- Set Fill Color for Selected Elements
Reduce File Size and Polygon Count
- NEW ModelPort Format Improves Performance
- Up to 80% Reduction in Size for Imported Files & Objects
- Polygon Reduced Editor Increases Speed in 3D
- Supports standard GDL Format
Manage 3rd Party Libraries
- Organize Object Files in the NEW ModelPort Browser
- Folder Preview of Files and Objects
“I love that you can make changes after importing, then continue to edit and update an existing object after loaded to the embedded library. This is really a powerful feature!
– Patrick May, Digital Design Coordinator, Walker Warner Architects
Access More Objects with MODELPORT 2.0
ARCHICAD’s missing link that unlocks the door to the vast world of 3D content.
Bridge to High Quality Rendering Content
With ARCHICAD’s Cinerender you can create very realistic renderings. But to make them come alive you also need realistic furniture, appliances, lighting, and more.
With MODELPORT you can access extensive libraries of entourage and manufacturer products to embellish your renderings inside ARCHICAD.
Rendering courtesy Visualize it Built
3D CONTENT EXAMPLES
Formats such as Maya, Blender, FBX, OBJ, DAE and others open access to more objects and online libraries. Below are examples of services with content based predominately on the formats accessible by ModelPort.
TurboSquid has the largest collection of professional 3D models on the web used by architects, visualization studios and creative professionals.
Customers tell TurboSquid they save an average of 27 hours per model, which can be a lifesaver in deadlines, not to mention more profit.
– Over 727,000 objects & 19,000 FREE objects
3Dsky is an online model database of high quality, strictly moderated content that is produced by talented artist from around the world.
The 3Dsky service offers a unique sharing system that provides affordable access to a wealth of objects including models from manufacturers.
– Over 270,000 objects & 88,000 FREE objects
Designconnected is an online marketplace that provides the highest quality 3D models of designer furniture, lighting and accessories.
All content is beautifully crafted with maximum attention to proportions, details and textures from over 1,500 designers and 980 brands.
– Over 7,000 objects & 377 FREE objects
Get Started with MODELPORT 2.0
The leading object importer and editor for ARCHICAD.