Edit and Manage Imported Objects or Models
Apple Silicon macOS notice : Learn more about ModelPort update and beta testing for native support of Apple Silicon >>
Now Available | Version 3.0
Archicad Objects Unleashed
Includes a new graphics engine for improved visual editing
We’re excited to announce the release of ModelPort 3.0 with over 80 new features, improvements and updates. Not only can users import, edit and change settings for a wide variety of objects such as OBJ, FBX, DAE, Revit and SketchUp but with this new version users can also take advantage of higher resolution graphics and an improved editing environment.
Key Features in ModelPort 3.0 :
- Visualize materials with refined detail
- Enhanced image quality on high resolution displays
- Increased speed when working on high polygon objects
- Multiple model management for simultaneous editing
- Batch import to save time converting third party models
New Feature in ModelPort 3.1 Update :
- Direct SketchUp import of 2019 to 2022 formats
If you’re new to ModelPort we invite you to review the features below that have made it the leading Archicad add-on for editing and managing imported models.
About ModelPort – Import | Edit | Manage :
- Expanded import formats compared to Archicad default options
- Preview third party models before import
- Edit imported models from OBJ, FBX, DAE, Revit, SketchUp, IFC and more
- Clean up messy 2D symbols and 3D graphics for imported objects
- Add textures and edit materials for any imported surface
- Delete selected meshes and elements in the ModelPort Editor
- Reduce polygon count & file size of imported objects and models
Formats Supported thru ModelPort’s Direct Import
Formats Supported thru
Archicad’s Standard Import
Developed by Day8Design
NEW 3.1 UPDATE FEATURES
Expand access to more SketchUp objects
- Many Archicad users can only import the SketchUp 2019 model format or older.
- With the ModelPort 3.1 update you can now import SketchUp 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 model formats.
Cleanup SketchUp 2D symbols and 3D models
- When a SketchUp model is imported with curved surfaces Archicad will create messy 2D symbols and 3D models.
- Imports using ModelPort’s new SKP format will clean up both symbols in plan as well as the model elements in the 3D window.
Preview and edit SketchUp model imports
- SketchUp models imported using Archicad’s default object conversion process have limited parametric editing options.
- With the new update users can preview SketchUp models and edit object size, textures, material settings, pen colors, fill backgrounds and much more in the ModelPort Editor.
Reduce file size & polygon count of SketchUp imports
- The default Archicad import offers no options to manage the performance of a SketchUp model import.
- Using the new SketchUp import ModelPort will compress the file size and allow users to control the polygon count.
RELEASE 3.0 FEATURES
3D Preview offers Higher Quality & Faster Performance
- ModelPort 3.0 integrates a new 3D graphics engine powered by Vulkan, a next generation GPU platform, and replaces OpenGL which is no longer supported by Apple.
- This new graphics engine provides ModelPort 3.0 with increased lighting accuracy, better graphics quality, support for high-resolution displays and faster performance to handle larger models, such as a 6.7 million polygon historic chapel model shown as one of the examples to the right.
Improved View Settings in the Preview Window
- Better accuracy and quality when selecting Archicad Sun Mode as the light source.
- To better visualize models new camera modes have been added for bottom, back and right.
- 3D Axis in the bottom-left corner of the Preview Window is now visible in ortho views.
- Improved 3D grid now automatically scales to model size similar to Archicad’s 3D grid.
Refined & Updated User Interface
- More consistent User Interface with better aligned controls across different size monitors.
- Visual warning sign added to show when a scene is outside of the Preview Window.
- Library part name is now click-editable within the editor.
- Polygon size indicator is now animated to provide better visual feedback.
Materials and Visual Feedback
- To help users better identify model scenes, surfaces and textures we’ve automated previews and material icons for the following…
- Preview image is now automated for Material preview sub-view, Scene (GDL image) preview image and Texture preview image.
- Preview icons are now automated for Scene items, Material items and Texture items.
- When your model is out of view click “Pull Scene” to fit content to window.
Enhanced Editing Controls
- Easily edit model sizes with click-editable dimensions within the Preview Window.
- In the Preview Window the mouse cursor changes interactively over editable fields.
- More accurately rescale of imported models with new percentage values.
- Additional context menus added to increase speed when editing imported models.
Sharper Detail with Better Antialiasing Control
- Improved antialiasing control decreases jagged edges and increases graphics quality.
- Antialiasing sample mode increased from 8x to 16x to support high resolution displays.
- Changing sample mode is immediate – no need to re-open the ModelPort dialog.
Multiple Model Management & Batch Import
- You can now have multiple scenes open within the Editor which save time opening and closing imported models.
- Batch Import was added allowing users to import multiple files with just a few clicks.
- When a new Archicad project is opened ModelPort doesn’t close the opened scenes.
New & Updated Import Format Options
- ModelPort 3.0 updates to the most recent Autodesk FBX API and Importer Library to support fixes and improvements to our direct import formats.
- With each new release of ModelPort we continue to expand format options for imports to Archicad. In this new version we’ve added two new formats…
- gltf – File format for Graphics Library Transmission
- x3d – File format that replaced VRML
ModelPort 3.0 has over 80 new features, improvement and updates!
- This new release has so many improvements we can’t list them all. To see a full list click here >>
PLUS MUCH MORE…
Object Viewer & Editor for Model Imports
- Preview an object or model before importing to Archicad.
- Fast preview engine provides users with a quick review of an object and its components.
- Review an object in perspective, floor plan, elevation or graphic view.
- Control the display of model information, grid, polygon count, speed, light and background in the preview window.
Edit Properties of Imported Models
- Modify the Properties of the model or be more precise with selection of individual components within the Preview Window.
- Edit selected items by element or by material.
- Control settings by selections within the items list.
- Set the object scale, rotation, material, transparency, graphics and other properties.
Improve 2D & 3D Graphics
- When importing to Archicad objects will often contain triangulated 3D curved surfaces and messy 2D plan symbols.
- ModelPort creates smooth surfaces and generates clean 2D symbols for floor plans.
Select & Edit Materials of Imported Objects
- Selected materials in the Item List of ModelPort are highlighted in perspective, elevation and plan views of Archicad.
- Interactive selection of elements in perspective, elevation or plan views within Archicad will highlight the material in the Item List of ModelPort.
- View and edit the Properties of a material after it is selected from the Items List or from the perspective, elevation or plan view.
Manage Revit, SketchUp & IFC Imported Objects
- The “Import from Archicad” feature allows you to manage and edit Revit, SketchUp or IFC objects in Archicad. Here is how it works…
- Import a Revit, SketchUp or IFC file using Archicad’s built-in importer
- Place and select the Object
- Choose the Import from Archicad option in ModelPort
- ModelPort’s powerful tools can now manage and edit the SketchUp, Revit or IFC object.
Zoom to Selection
- Have trouble viewing changes to selected elements when editing materials, pen colors, fills and other settings?
- ModelPort introduces Zoom to Selection, a NEW feature that allows you to see more clearly the element you’re editing.
- It’s simple – select an element and click the Zoom to Selection button.
Reduce File Size with ModelPort Format
- The Save Mode offers 3 format options:
- ModelPort : Reduces size of imported files up to 80% (requires ModelPort Plug-in).
- GDL : Standard Archicad format but doesn’t store the extra ModelPort information and creates a larger file size.
- GDL+ModelPort : Provides all the benefits of both options above but creates the largest file size of the two options.
Reduce Object Polygon Count
- An object with a high polygon count can decrease speed and performance of Archicad.
- A Polygon Count Indicator in the 3D Viewer shows red in the bar graph when the polygon count is high.
- With the Poly Reduced Editor you can decrease the polygons on models that have a high polygon count.
Organize Objects with the ModelPort Browser
- The ModelPort Browser helps you organize and preview downloaded libraries.
- The browser offers visual navigation through a library of downloaded objects.
- A selected object in the browser can be opened into ModelPort for review without importing to Archicad.
Visualize in Detail with ModelPort 3.0
Improved editing and management of Archicad imports
The chart below compares the new features in ModelPort 3.0 with ModelPort 2.1 and the Archicad defaults. The new version of ModelPort offers powerful features not available in other tools.
Formats for Direct Import to ModelPort
- Autodesk 3DS & DXF, Collada DAE, Stereolithography
- Autodesk FBX, Wavefront OBJ, MODO, Blender 3D, Lightwave, Alembic ABC
- Graphics Library Transmission GLT, X3D (replaces VRML)
- Batch import multiple model files with one click
Standard Formats using Import from Archicad
- Revit, SketchUp, IFC and Rhino formats can be converted into ModelPort managed models using Archicad's default import options
Model Elements using Import from Archicad
- Convert Morphs and modeled elements such as Walls, Slabs, Beams, etc. into ModelPort managed models
Object Viewer & Editor
- Preview objects before import
- Rotate objects in the object settings 3D preview
- Delete elements from an imported object
- Interactive "click editable" dimensions in the preview
- Multiple scenes can be open simultaneously within the ModelPort Editor
Rotation & Scale Control
- Change rotation for X, Y and Z
- Change scale for X, Y and Z
- Use percentage values to rescale imported models
Parametric Materials for Imported Objects
- Edit surface color as well as material properties such as diffuse, ambient, specular, shininess and transparency
- Assign or change linked material textures
- Set texture alpha as bump & transparency and define texture wrap for U & V
- Better identify surfaces, textures and scenes with automated material icons and previews
Improves 2D & 3D Graphics
- Cleans up 2D symbols and creates smooth 3D surfaces when importing models with curved elements
- Vulkan graphics engine replaces OpenGL offering better preview quality, improved lighting and increased speed
- Antialiasing with 16x sample mode provides sharper detail on high resolution displays
Parametric Pens & Fills for Imported Objects
- Set pen weight for selected elements
- Set Fill color and edit 3D contour pen for selected elements
Reduce File Size and Polygon Count
- Up to 80% reduction in object size when imported files use the ModelPort format
- Polygon reduction editor increases model performance
- Supports standard GDL format
- Visualize model performance with the animated polygon size indicator
Manage 3rd Party Libraries
- Organize objects using the ModelPort Browser with automatically generated previews
No interactive preview, limited editing and no management of object file size or polygons
No clean up of 2D graphics when Morph conversions are saved as an Archicad object
Replaces OpenGL with Metal graphics engine
““I use ModelPort on every project and out of the three version I’ve used I like this version the best.”
– Chuck Goodman, Pacific Crest Design
Access More Objects with MODELPORT 3.0
Archicad’s missing link that unlocks the door to the vast world of 3D content.
Bridge to High Quality Rendering Content
With Archicad’s Redshift rendering engine you can create photo-realistic renderings. But to make them come alive you also need realistic furniture, appliances, lighting, and more.
With ModelPort you can access extensive libraries of entourage and manufacturer products to embellish your renderings inside Archicad.
Rendering courtesy Visualize it Built
3D CONTENT EXAMPLES
Formats such as Maya, Blender, FBX, OBJ, DAE and others open access to more objects and online libraries. Below are examples of services with content based predominately on the formats accessible by ModelPort.
TurboSquid has the largest collection of professional 3D models on the web used by architects, visualization studios and creative professionals.
Customers tell TurboSquid they save an average of 27 hours per model, which can be a lifesaver in deadlines, not to mention more profit.
– Over 727,000 objects & 19,000 FREE objects
3D Warehouse is a tremendous resource of searchable, pre-made 3D models that works seamlessly with SketchUp and applications that support the DAE format.
Also browse hundreds of manufacturer catalogs of real-world products, and download them directly into your model for a professional finish.
– World’s largest and free 3D model library
3Dsky is an online model database of high quality, strictly moderated content that is produced by talented artist from around the world.
The 3Dsky service offers a unique sharing system that provides affordable access to a wealth of objects including models from manufacturers.
– Over 270,000 objects & 88,000 FREE objects
Get Started with MODELPORT 3.0
The leading object importer and editor for Archicad.